Friday, June 4, 2010

A Good Idea

When I first got the plans from Graham and gave them a first read I made special note of the instruction that read something along the lines “read these instructions carefully and make sure you understand everything before you proceed.” That seemed like superb advice and it is at this point that I made what I consider my best choice so far in this project. I took the plans sheets to the office supply store and had them duplicated. I then had the duplicates laminated in heavy plastic covers which basically turned them into giant placemats impervious to tearing, spills and stains. I then made sure to keep them handy so whenever I had some free time at lunch I could whip them out and just spend some time thinking about them. If, like me, you have never taken on a project of this scope, you’ll be surprised at how many of the construction details don’t really click on the first reading. But just having the plans always available makes the process of digesting the instructions go much more smoothly. My local Office Max copied and laminated all the pertinent sheets in my plan set for about 20 bucks, which was money well spent as far as I’m concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment